Monday 28 March 2011

Style Icon: Snow White

I have had a healthy obsession with Snow White since I was about seven, when I received my very own personalised Snow White book, it had my name and sisters names in it, and I thought it was pretty damn amazing. Check out the personalised pie Snow White made me, and my wonderfully artistic attempts at drawing Snow White and the Wicked Witch:


I still cannot draw hands.


Illustration by Jessie Willcox Smith
As an 'adult' I have taken the Snow White look into my own aesthetic, black hair courtesy of Nice n Easy and  pale complexion courtesy of avoiding the sun (not hard in the UK) and Max Factor foundation. Also I did take the look literally as a teenager and wore Snow White costumes to festivals and gigs I thought I was being cute and ironic?! I think there is something so dramatic about women with black hair and pale skin with ruby red lips, that is why I am often drawn to these modern day Snow Whites:

Mia Kirshner

Dita Von Teese

Mariacarla Boscono

Eva Green
It seems that Hollywood is still obsessed with Snow White, as of this moment  there are two different versions of the alabaster skinned goddess in the works.  There is  'Snow White and The Huntsman' set to star Kirsten Stewart as Snow White and Charlize Theron as the Evil Queen. Then there is 'The Brothers Grimm: Snow White' which will see Julia Roberts play the Evil Queen and Armie Hammer as the Prince, but no Snow White yet. Here is one of my favourite Snow White inspired pieces, courtesy of Rammstein:


Now if that wasn't enough Snow White for you check out this fascinating blog Filmic Light: A Snow White Sanctum.

11 comments:

  1. Snow White is my style Icon too! She helped me embrace my naturaly pasty skin and dark hair, when all the boys at school loved the blondes... I eventually found my prince who agrees that snow white is the ultimate babe! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is so sweet your own prince charming! I have always been pale and burn so easily in the sun, so it is so nice to see that there are other pale girls out there. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being pale is the best! Kelly-Marie is right though, school kids don't appreciate it! And you are so right Snow White, what an inspiration!

    Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to know there are other pale girls out there, who are proud hah. You have a lovely day, and your blog is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. snow withe is grand! i've always been into the meanies, because they always looked much cooler with their dark hair and their dark clothes. and their evil laughter. snow white was the only one who could compete with them. not only style wise.
    about the fair skin: i have to use 50 sunscreen from february to november and still look like a lobster...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too witches, evil queens have always appealed to me more. I must start using sunscreen everyday, there isn't a lot of sun in the UK but still can be damaging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a huge fan of this look too! I think pale skin is super feminine. What shade of Max Factor foundation do you use by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  8. (oh, and i love Rammstein too! Especially Sonne, great song :) )

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's 'The age renew in cream ivory' I think there must be different stages of ivory though as the one I have at the moment seems to orange on my skin! But it's a nice foundation and doesn't dry out my sensitive skin. Oh my gosh I love Rammstein, have you ever seen them live? Life changing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, I haven't seen them live yet, unfortunately. Their concerts are always sold out in like 15 minutes or so...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well if you do ever get a chance to see them, go for it, they are so theatrical it's breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete